Many people have heard of skin brushing and those who have tried it usually rave about the benefits that it brings. So many benefits that you won’t believe me if I tell you! Just try it and you’ll find out for yourself.
But the problem for many of us if fitting yet another thing into our busy lifestyles. We know that eating tons of green vegetables every day is good for us, too, but where are we supposed to find the time for that?!
Skin brushing is different. No chewing, for a start. The thing about it is that it makes you feel so good, so quickly, that it brings its own motivation with it. It’s so easy to do and the results are so fast that you find yourself looking forward to it when you wake up in the morning.
Most articles on skin brushing tell us it must be done in the morning before a bracing shower. If your mornings are anything like mine, with frantic dashing around the house wishing you had done more to prepare the night before, there isn’t room for anything else.
So the secret is to make it a habit. A quick habit.
You [probably] wouldn’t go to work without cleaning your teeth – somehow you make time for that. How? Carrot and stick. Stick = you would feel [and smell] awful if you didn’t. Carrot = you feel fresher, taste better, and know that you are preserving your teeth and your heart health (new research suggests that bacteria in the mouth can travel to the heart).
Let’s apply the same principles to skin brushing. Stick = once you get used to the energetic buzz that skin brushing gives you, you won’t want to start your day without it. Just as you don’t want yellow, unhealthy teeth, you won’t want dry, bumpy skin. Carrot = you know that, however tired you feel when you wake, a quick skin brush will give you the energy you need to start your day well.
The other thing that brushing your teeth has going for it is speed. Most people have it done in 2 minutes. If you can get your skin brushing routine down to that, you’re on to a winner. Here’s how:
- Keep your brush by your bed and brush as soon as you get out of bed. If you don’t have time to do your entire body, just brush your neck, chest, and arms.
- If you usually have to dash to the bathroom first thing, keep your brush there. You could do your skin brushing routine while the shower warms up (mine takes a while!).
- Brush your body with long, sweeping strokes, all over. I suggest starting at the upper chest, where the lymph empties back into the venous system. This stimulates the entire lymphatics – your body’s rubbish processing system.
- Brush towards the nearest cluster of lymph nodes. These are: under the arms, in the neck, up the centre of the torso, and in the groin (at the top of the legs).
- If you only have 60 seconds, then take 4 seconds to do each arm – one long stroke on the upper arm from fingertips to shoulder, one on the inner arm from thumb to armpit, one underneath from fingertips and palm up to armpit, and one on the outer arm from little finger/pinky to shoulder. That’s an arm done in just 4 seconds. You can do the other one and your legs and you’ve still got over half a minute to spare!
- If you really can’t brush in the mornings, don’t despair. You can brush later in the day or even before bed. It won’t be too stimulating for sleep if you keep the brush strokes slow.
- If you can’t spare any other time, just take 30 seconds to brush whenever you change your clothes. If you come home from work and like to change into comfy clothes, do your routine then. If you like to get into PJs and relax an hour before bed, brush then.
However and whenever you can spare a few minutes, use it for your skin brushing routine. It will pay you back with glowing, healthy skin, extra energy, less cellulite, and much more.
BIO: Mia Campbell is an aromatherapist from Lancashire. She trained under noted aromatherapist tutor Marion Del Gaudio Mak, author of ‘Aromatherapy: Simply For You’.Mia is the author of the bestselling books ‘The 10-Day Skin Brushing Detox’ and ‘Inversion Therapy’.She is a keen field archer and animal welfare supporter and is about to embark on a roadtrip around the US and Canada with her family and dogs. The cat has refused to leave British soil.Book links:http://amzn.com/B00HYQ5L98 (The 10-Day Skin Brushing Detox)http://amzn.com/B00IDAYBNQ (Inversion Therapy)